“The Lord your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing” (Zephaniah 3:17, ESV).
Sirens. Ad jingles. Loud cell phone talkers in the store. Noise surrounds us day and night. In the din of our streets, our community, even our homes, we yearn for respite.
Our earbuds deliver a custom playlist to energize or relax us. Perhaps a favorite movie could drown out the world. Or, we can scroll through our cell phone contacts and dial a cheerful voice. Maybe adding another loud-talker to the store.
How often do we stop to listen for the sounds of our Father’s voice?
His whispers and exultation. His silence. His songs.
The Lord doesn’t impose His voice upon our ears. The daily soundtrack blares around us with advertisements shouting and drivers honking. But God does not compete for attention. He commands a metaphysical dimension of amazing sound, but we must tune in to hear it.
Love harmonizes the swell of His whispers to a crescendo of rejoicing and returns the melody to a quiet rest. Our Heavenly Father holds us in mighty arms while singing eternal promises over our heads. The most beautiful lullaby ever composed.
No other ear candy comes close. No manner of respite compares.
Have you listened for our Father’s loving songs today? Try the following tips to help focus on the Lord’s voice:
- Add 2-5 minutes of listening to your morning and/or evening prayers.
- Invite the Father to join you on a prayer walk.
- Use nature sounds instead of music while at the gym, and engage in silent prayer while working out.
- Breathe deep, calming breaths while waiting at stoplights and invite the Lord to quiet your spirit with His love.
- Ask Jesus to share your meal time. Ask the Spirit to guide your understanding, and read Scripture while you dine.
Share how you plan to settle your thoughts this week and tune into His voice. I look forward to hearing from you!