Did you make New Year’s resolutions or set goals for 2017? If you’ve fallen off track already, I’ve got some words of reassurance for you today. First of all, you’re in the majority. But that’s not really the good news. The best encouragement for those who’ve failed lies in how the missteps can bring success closer. If we use the derailment as a learning tool, we’ll not only redirect our lives toward the goal but we’ll also strengthen the new track we build beneath us.
- Look for the mindset behind the setback. How can I redirect my thinking and become success-oriented?
- Detect temptations and remove them.
- Root out unhealthy habits which sabotage your progress.
- Journal your behavior related to the goal (time use, eating, thoughts, exercise).
- Resist the shame and choose to get back on track. Discern between the mire of self-abasing condemnation and acknowledging responsibility as a hand up toward transformative steps forward.
- Look for an accountability partner or life coach to help you stay focused.
- Break large goals into bite sized steps.
- Write goals and objectives in pencil. Give the eraser to God. Adjust as needed, but keep prayerfully discerned goals in focus.
How are you doing with your goals? List your plans to stay or get back on track. Share them with us here so we can encourage one another. I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.